May I never grow too old to treasure 'once upon a time'. ~ Anonymous

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Summer of Chick Lit and Me

     If you read my blog or are a member of any book groups on Goodreads, you may know that I am a bit of a Goodreads junkie (Self-proclaimed, of course – I have never been good about denying things – I’m like one of those people who wears my expression all over my face.) I recently joined a new group called, Book Blog Networking, and it is turning into one of my favorite groups on GR. It is a wonderful networking tool. It provides access to limitless book review blogs. I have met some really great people who share the same interests in reading and blogs as me; and finally, the network is a great place to sound off ideas, troubleshoot technical problems and get help and advice on any other aspect of blogging that might pop up. It has also inspired me to create a second blog and to be more diligent about posting on my original blog.


     This summer I am participating in (yet another) reading challenge with the GR group, Red Dress Ink Fans; and although I am off to a slow start (with nothing but a poor excuse), my goal is to post the books I read and write a review for each one as I cross them off my TBR list. The current challenge is what I consider a “Reading Scavenger Hunt”. You must find books that fit into various categories and after you’ve used a book for one category, you cannot double up and count it for another category. For example, the first book I read is going to be part of a three (3) book series for a 25 point task that correspond with a City, State, and Country. I just finished listening to the unabridged audio book of All-American Girl by Meg Cabot (country), am currently reading the paperback, I Heart New York Lindsey Kelk and I plan to either read Hollywood Car Wash by Lori Culwell or listen to Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle du Jour to round out the category.

     Below you can see the book covers of all the books on my reading challenge list, each corresponding with a specific category. If you are dying to read a review for one of the books on my list, please let me know and I will prioritize it on my TBR list this summer. (Sometimes I have a hard time choosing which one to read next because to me (of course) they all look great! So really, you’d be doing me a favor by making a request. Thanks so much. And, enjoy!



     All-American Girl is the first in a two-book series by Meg Cabot, narrated by Ariadne Myers, that follows Samantha Madison as she comes of age in the Presidential setting of Washington, D.C. Samantha is in high-school who has a passion for drawing and her sister’s boyfriend, Jack. As much as she loves art, she despises Susan Boone’s drawing classes, which she has been mandated to take since being caught charging students at John Adams Preparatory High for her celebrity caricatures. One day when Samantha decides she’s going to skip SB’s art class, she stands in a crowd to watch as a parade takes place in the heart of DC’s political arena. She notices an odd-looking man listening to Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl on repeat, and before she even has time to think about what she’s doing, Samantha finds herself jumping in the middle of a bullet from Mr. Uptown Girl and Mr. President, himself. Her courage and bravery catapult her into the spotlight (that and a broken arm that brings her to a local hospital) and Sam becomes an overnight celebrity. Everyone knows her name and everyone wants to be her friend – kids at school even start dressing in all black just like her. She never could have imagined life like this and now she must grow up and learn about relationships, love, family, the way of the world, and a little bit of politics in front of the public eye. Will everyone find out that she has a huge crush on her sister’s boyfriend? Will everyone start idolizing Gwen Stefani and become fascinated with art and drawing? Finally, what about David, he president’s son? Could Samantha be developing feelings for him? As her art teacher so eloquently puts, hear what happens when Samantha learns the difference between “seeing and knowing” and “hearing and listening” in this YA audio book. Ariadne Myers, who has put the voice to many YA audio books, by other Chick Lit authors such as Sarah Mlynowski, does an excellent job creating a different tone for each character in Meg Cabot’s All-American Girl. From “rebel” Jack, teen queen and big sister, Lucy to Presidential hunk and artist, David and of course, the red-headed, average, middle child Samantha and all the characters in between, Myers creates a believable world of young adult life in Washington, DC.
     I can’t wait to listen to what happens in the sequel, Ready or Not.

     Rating: 3 out of 5 STARS.

4 comments:

  1. Cathy I like this idea. I am afraid the one part that holds me back with Red Dress Ink is having to put all the books up ahead of time. I am also bad because of the other site we both write for I write my reviews right away of everything I read. I do think the idea is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the idea of paricipating in a reading challenge? I try to double up..and the books I want to review for CLC, I try to prioritize or work them into the RDI reading challenge. I'm hoping the challenge will help me to become better about writing a review right away - I have so many audio books that I have listened to already in the back of my mind that I still need to write reviews for - so I'm hoping with this challenge, I will just write them as I finish them. Especially now that more people are looking at my blog, maybe that will also motivate me to review them in a more timely manner as well.

    But as Chasidy said on her blog - so many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many books, so little time is right!

    I'm horrible when it comes to posting reviews. Whether it be because I jump from finishing one book amd starting another or because I can never seem to grasp the emotions and put it into words how I truly feel. Or simply, I tend to get lazy. I'm leaning more towards the last one. As far as reading challenges go, I always start them but can never find a balance betweem classes, blogging, writing, and work. I feel like I'm extremely busy but when I look back, I have so much free time. Balance is key. Now, to only learn how. I am a Gemini after all.

    Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks much! Too funny. about being a Gemini...although I'm a Cancer so I"m supposed to be a homebody *which I totalyl am*....but I still never have time for all the things I want to do...and Balance? Aw man...I think I only learned that word a few years ago...and putting it into action?...I think that is a constant battle or practice (depending on which side you are currently on):) It's a constant work in progress...like much of life...I say, do what you can with what you got and leave the rest....but make sure whatever it is your doing, you're having some fun in there! That is my yoda moment for the night...haha

    ReplyDelete