May I never grow too old to treasure 'once upon a time'. ~ Anonymous

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Star Book Review: I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk

     Part Two of a 25 Point Task for Red Dress Ink's Sizzling Summer Reading Challenge: City, State and Country; I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk read and reviewed July 17, 2010:
     An excellent debut novel from British author and self-proclaimed lover of New York, Lindsey Kelk. The pages literally kept flying by as I entered the life of British girl, Angela Clark and her "runaway" trip to the Big Apple in I Heart New York. Having just caught her boyfriend, Mark, with his pants around his ankles at her best friend's wedding and realizing that all her friends knew about his affair, Angela is distraught. Quicker than a flash, Angela storms out of the wedding (not wihtout telling off best friend, Louisa and her new hubby) and hops the first plane to New York City. Not sure of where she is going, what she is going to do or how long she is going to stay, Angela takes up residency at an Upscale hotel, The Union, and literally shops 'til she drops. Along the way, she meets some really good people and it's not long before she's living in an apartment with newest bff, Jenny, working as a blog writer for The Look and "shagging" two hot boys at once. Has Angela found a new home and new life in NYC? Find out what happens when Angela must finally confront who she really is and answer some life long questions she's been avoiding. An excellent novel about love, life and the relationships we have with others and most importantly, ourselves. I found myself thinking as I read this book, that similar to the style of Emily Giffin, there is really not a whole lot of action that goes on in this novel - but it is more a saga of relationships, with friends and one's self. It amazed me how entertaining it is and fulfilling a book can be when it's spent really getting to know the characters. I can't wait to find out what's in store for Angela in Lindsey Kelk's sequel, I Heart Hollywood. Definitely recommended to all Chick Lit Fans! A-Plus.       
                                            4 STARS:  










4 comments:

  1. I've read only a little bit of chick lit so it will be fun to learn about it more from your reviews.
    I also have a dream to become a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad I could contribute to your growing knowledge of books and genres. I am a huge chick lit fan (not to overstate the obvious:)) I also write audio book reviews at www.chicklitclub.com/audio-books.html (there's a link to this page in my sidebar) if you ever want to ceck those out to...I try to modify my reviews so they differ from Goodreads, to my blog and the CLC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, this is a great review! I will have to look into this!

    Check out my blog! I gave you the Oh My Blog Award!!!

    Zakiya
    Butterfly Feet Walking on Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I spoke about Angela's blog somewhere in one of the discussions in our group - it really gave me a great idea for a future blog - basically the blog making up a story from beginning to end - each post being a chapter or part of a chapter - that's basically what the main character does in the book - but all in all, it really was a great book; especially for a debut novel. I can't wait to check out more in the series.

    ReplyDelete