May I never grow too old to treasure 'once upon a time'. ~ Anonymous

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Framework, Fiction and a Java Chip Frappucino

Structure & Framework for Fiction Writers: How do you format your novel?


     There seems to be limitless ways to format one’s work of fiction; whether you choose to set up your chapters from A to Z, as in The ABCs of Love by Sarah Salway, with Letters from one’s Credit Card Company in between each chapter as in the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella or the story may revolve around the Stages of Grief as Lolly Winston did in her debut novel, Good Grief (Mlynowski, S. &; Jacobs, F. Once one book takes off with a certain format, many follow suit and although there may be many variations of one type of format, what was once considered creative and innovative, may all of a sudden appear redundant and outdated. In fact, the very first book I ever read in a similar fashion (predating emails) was Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. This classic story tells the true and perilous story of a drug addict via excerpts from the pages of one woman’s diary. As mentioned, since its release in 1971, there have been countless others like it. For instance, Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding was the first “modern” chick lit novel I read that was written in purely email/letter format. Since then, I have seen many more books written like this. To name a few, there was Love, Rosie (aka Chasing Rainbows) by Cecelia Ahern, Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham (which it has since been revealed that Ms. Denham is actually a Mr. – but that is a topic for another day – pseudonyms, ghost writers and such); Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers, The Guy Next Door by Meg Cabot; and Wanderlust by Chris Dyer. I’m sure there are many, many more. I love to see the differences in addition to the unique ways authors set up their books and I wonder how they decide what the best format for their story is? Is it based on plot? Characters? Setting? Once a certain format has been done to death, how does an author decide it’s time to move on to a new set up? For instance, seeing as how the diary/email template has been popular throughout the past 50 years, changing slightly with technology, I wonder if the “blog formatted” book will be the next step in this type of framework.

Other authors who I’ve noticed use unique formatting techniques in various novels:


     Emily Giffin in Heart of the Matter – Chapters alternate from the perspectives of two main characters, Tess and Val; Similarly, her two-book series, Something Borrowed and Something Blue, as a whole, each book chronicles the same incident but told from the alternate perspectives of two best friends – the first from Rachel’s view and the second, from Darcy’s eyes.
 
     **Something Borrowed is currently being filmed in NYC with stars, Kate Hudson, Colin Farrell, and Ginnifer Goodwin.



     Meg Cabot in Queen of Babble Series – Chapters begin with a “fashion history” framework; In the first book, chapters are separated by segments on the history of women’s fashion. Books 2 (QOB…In the Big City) and 3 (...Gets Hitched) have similar intermediary sections. For instance, QOB…In the Big City, has interesting tidbits regarding “vintage” and “worldly” wedding dresses in between its chapters.


     **I also just came across an article that says Queen of Babble was supposed to be opted for a movie starring Kristen Bell as Lizzie Nichols. Unfortunately, this post was from a few years ago, and it’s possible this screenplay got lost in the shuffle of novels to be made into Hollywood scripts.

     I also just started listening to All-American Girl by Meg Cabot and in more chapters than not, she separates the end of one from the next with a “Top Ten” List. For example, at the end of Chapter 13, she lists the “Top Ten Ways You Know You Made the In Crowd”. I will be on the look out for the second book in the Series to see if she organizes it in a similar way.


     Another series that has become one of my most beloved includes Kyra Davis' Sophie Katz' Chick Lit Mysteries: Sex, Murder and a Double Latte; Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights; Obsession, Deceit and Really Dark Chocolate; Lust, Loathing and a Little Lipgloss; Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress. I love how her series is about a mystery author who constantly gets involved in a real-life mysery/murder of her own. In accord with the running theme of framework, I also admire the consistency with which Ms. Davis uses her character's latest book release as an Introduction to each chapter. For example, in the third book, Obsession, Deceit and Really Dark Chocolate, each chapter beigns with a quote from Sophie's latest novel, C'est La Mor. I also find it interesting, creative and clever how she has been able to not only set up each chapter with an overall framework by integrating a quote from the main character's own work of fiction, but almost always, I have found that the quote is relevant to the chapter that follows. Well done, Ms. Davis! While I may not have my own niche yet as far as formatting goes, I, like Sophie Katz, find absolute bliss working on the intricacies of my novel while sipping on a Java Chip Frappucino!

     As you can see, there are many different ways to unify your novel. What drives your book’s format? Is it something you think about before you start writing? After you’ve written the whole book or just few chapters? Do you write from A-Z? Do you have a prologue? An epilogue? Do you have any interesting nuances that make your books stand out from the rest of the books on a shelf? Do the covers all look similar, as in Lindsey Kelk's I Heart series with Angela Clark (Cartoon woman looking into the scenery of the city of the book's title, luggage in tow). Do you use intellectual/hsitorical or philosophical quotes to begin each chapter? 

I’d love to hear your ideas for new (or existing) formats.

2 comments:

  1. thats a very interesting post, id never given much thought to novels' formats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!! I always lok at stuff like that...I compare it to like coordinating your outfit everyday...I like thingst o match so I look for congruency in other aspects of life too:) I know...I'm a nerd...but really, I love it when authors find a way to tie things together, whether through quotes, references, pictures, titles, etc...I don't know if you noticed but I always try to make my blog titles a "play" on words of a chick lit title that I'm either currently reading or have read. (I try anways.) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete