May I never grow too old to treasure 'once upon a time'. ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Love Letters: On Writing Chick Lit

“Your First Love”
  
     My first love of writing came when I was a little girl. I carried around spiral bound notebooks for my “creative writing” My best girlfriend from tennis was into the writing thing too and she came up with the brilliant idea that our author names should be our middle initial, last initial and then middle name would be our “new” last name – or something like that; I have a hard time remembering at this point. Regardless, I remember writing creative stories all the time and writing them everywhere. I found an aqua spiral bound notebook of mine some years later and it was so much fun to look back on the little snippets of fiction I had written, and of course, they all came with adjoining illustrations (even if I never was much of an artist – I’m still not.)
     My first love of chick lit really came in the form of women’s fiction. As a young girl, I loved to read. I went through various genres, but I always came back to books about women like me. As a kid, I remember reading The Kids at Polk Street School Series in addition to the other “fabulous” series of the nineties, including The Babysitters’ Club, the Ramona Quimby books, Sweet Valley High and anything by R.L. Stine. As a preteen, Judy Blume was always among my top picks. In fact, when I read Summer Sisters at age 16, it became the first book to bring tears to my eyes – in public – at work, no less! Shortly thereafter, I remember reading a book recommended by Oprah, Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts that was later made into a movie with Natalie Portman. It was another beautiful story about a girl who you could just relate to and feel compassion for on so many levels. By the time I got out of college and into the world of work, the chick lit focused publishing group, Red Dress Ink, had emerged and through a book swap at work, I was introduced to the likes of infamous characters, Becky Bloomwood, the Walsh Sisters and of course, the Sex and the City Girls. Sophie Kinsella, Candace Bushnell and Marian Keyes were my absolute favorites. I tried to read every book they ever wrote (that I could get at the local library anyways) and with each one complete, I was always so sad to have it end.




     Late last year, I read Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella and my love for chick lit was fully rejuvenated only this time, I vowed to make myself branch out. I read a few of Emily Giffin’s, Lauren Weisberger’s, Beth Harbison’s and more. Not only did I read this time, but I also started listening to unabridged chick lit audio books as well. I was surely hooked! I joined a Chick Lit (only) Book Club online, began writing reviews for the Australian-based Web site, www.chicklitclub.com/index.html, started this blog and the rest is history really…


No comments:

Post a Comment